Wednesday 18 April 2012

We are not as smart as we think we are

We are not as smart as we think we are

Most of us overestimate how intelligent we are.  And not just intelligence, we harbour the belief that we are more competent than we really are.  Or at least Americans do.  East Asians tend to underestimate theirs.  I have only read a survey of the research which doesn't mention Europeans.  My guess is that they are probably a little less confident than Americans, but they'd be closer to Americans than they are to Asians.  What does all this mean?

Well for a start, if we don't have an accurate assessment of how good we are it makes it much harder to improve ourselves. We also need to bear in mind that this is a general feature of our culture, not a personal shortcoming.  So most of the people we meet are likely to be labouring under the impression that they are a smarter than they really are.  This is good news if you are offering 'personal development for smart people' since more of us will think we qualify.

I think the important take home message is to do your best to be honest with yourself.  If I am really such a good driver for instance, why have I paid out so many speeding fines?  If my writing skills are so well developed why doesn't anyone read my blog?  Above all, am I actually earning what I am worth rather than being unfairly underpaid by people who just don't realise what a great job I am doing?

I will start looking out for ways I can assess my ability scientifically and accurately to see just how deluded I actually am.  In the meantime, I am feeling strangely superior simply for knowing that I am  perhaps not that clever after all.


http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb03/overestimate.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment